“That day was my mother’s birthday”

My name is Mohamed, 25 years old and Palestinian, but born in Syria in the city of Homs. I came to Sweden 3 years ago. My life was very good before the revolution.

I was a student and worked as an anesthetist and in the evening I had a computer store that I worked with.

I was against fleeing to Europe because my brother who fled before me had told me that the escape route is tough and that Europe is not as everyone believes. I would prefer my parents to flee first so that nothing would happen to them.

I remember this date 2/2 2014. Then the Syrian government started publishing pictures on me and posting that I was against the government. From that date I did not go out.

I did not know why they published these articles and pictures on me, but soon knew that they did this because I practiced at a hospital and helped the civilians injured by the missiles that the government had shot.

I only had 3 months left to graduate, but I could not even leave home. My dad worked as a guard on UNRWA and decided that we can not stay here and told me that I and he must flee from the country.

Dad resigned from work and went to early retirement. Dad still got a salary since he had retired so with this money we decided to flee.

Our trip began April 14, 2014 from Homs city. That day was my mother’s birthday, so we celebrated her and then we went farewell and went away. We traveled from Homs to Hama and from Hama to Aleppo, and then we fled from Aleppo to Turkey. We were always worried about being stopped by the government. The toughest route was from Hama to Aleppo. We only managed to pay the police and the military money to go through. I also got renamed to take care of me.

The next day we arrived in Turkey. We continued to Ankara and then to Istanbul, where I stayed for three days. The smuggler we met there asked us which way we would take. Through the sea or through the woods? My dad chose the forest because it’s a little safer and not as scary.

We arrived at the Greek border and walked on foot to Greece. It took a whole day to arrive at an island in Greece, which I do not remember what it was called. But the road was tough. My dad is over 55 years old and I tried to help both him and myself.

We had to throw away everything we had with us. I even have to throw my cellphone because the smuggler was afraid that the police would find us. We were very scared. We heard rumors that smugglers killed refugees, they fooled them and dumped them into the ocean.

We had to walk very slowly and quietly. A person fell into the lake and started screaming for help. We wanted to help him but we were afraid that the Turkish police would catch us so we ran away.

We were part of a group of other refugees. We were about 15 people along with two smugglers. My dad fell several times along the way. I helped him up and we crossed a lake that was half a meter deep.

We arrived at Greece at. 6 in the morning. The smuggler told us he had to leave us and another person would take over. He would come with a car in 30 minutes. The second smuggler came after two hours with a car that accommodated six passengers. We were told that every fifteen would put in the car.

Four people got to sit in the trunk. My dad had to sit next to the smuggler and we were sitting in the back seat. I still do not understand how we managed it. When we arrived at Saloniki in Greece, I was hurting the whole body.

When we arrived, the smuggler said we had to change clothes so nobody noticed we were on the run. We switched and then went on a regular bus with other passengers to Athens.

When we arrived at Athens, the smuggler told us that we had to get a refugee document from the police to move freely in Greece. Some said we did not need to get it because we would continue on. We stayed nineteen days in Greece. Once we tried to fly in a truck, the police noticed it and stopped us before we had walked into the truck. We changed strategy and instead searched for a smuggler that people knew who could help us further.

We found a smuggler who was willing to take us to Sweden for 5000 euros per person. We wanted to come to Sweden because my brother and relatives lived there. We accepted the terms. My dad borrowed some money from friends.

The next day the smuggler came up with fake paper and informed us that we were going to fly to Sweden. But he told us that we have to buy designer clothes and shave us so nobody notices something at the airport. He took us to a store which he said was the best deal. I was shocked when I saw that a pair of pants cost 150 euros and a 200 euro shirt, the smuggler invited us to buy clothes.

He also told us that he had booked a boat from Athens to a small island and that another person would wait for us there.

We went by boat and the trip took about 10 hours. When we left the boat, the other smuggler was not there waiting for us. We called him and he said there were too many police officers and he could not drive in. He told us to take the bus to town and book us in a hotel until he would come and leave our airline tickets. He urged us to be careful not to be taken.

We walked around to check in at hotel, but it did not work at all because we had no passports. But eventually we found a receptionist from Egypt who helped us, but we did not tell anyone that he helped us. After half an hour, the smuggler came to our room and informed us how the airport looks and how it should go.

I looked at the tickets and there was Austria. We wanted Sweden. But the smuggler said that as soon as we landed we had to call him and then he will send tickets from Vienna to Copenhagen. Then we should take the train to Sweden.

I was shocked when I saw the airport. It was such a small airport with only 3-4 gates and no police. We arrived at our gate and the staff asked us about our passport and boarding pass. I showed both my father and my father’s passport and she greeted us in welcome. At first I felt the joy.

The passports we received from the smuggler contained photos of us, but we all had a different nationality.

When we arrived in Vienna we started calling the smuggler, but he did not answer. We checked in to a hotel for three days and tried to call him repeatedly, but without results.

We began to wonder if we would try to book tickets to Copenhagen. I went to a travel office with my passport and booked to Copenhagen.

Just before we were traveling, a person rang from the smuggler’s phone number. He informed us that our smuggler had been taken by the police and that he was his friend.

He asked for the password so that he could collect the money. He explained that they did not leave the money directly to the smuggler. They are first left in an office. He would call the office and tell us we were there. Then they would leave the money to the smuggler. He told us that he and the office had a common password.

I told him that the smuggler had promised that we would arrive in Sweden or Denmark. Now we were only in Austria, so the amount has to be reduced. The person in the phone said he wanted the full amount. I put on the phone and stopped answering him when he tried to call again. Then we went on to Copenhagen. We arrived in Sweden on May 11th, 2014.

What I miss most from Homs are the roads, the people, and now that you asked the question, I can shut my eyes down and think about every detail in the city of Homs. I often think that this should not have happened. I remember the beautiful Homs. We were a group of friends in Homs who went out and were together daily. Now everyone is spread in different countries.

Svenska: Jag heter Mohamed är 25 år och palestinier, men född i Syrien i staden Homs. Jag kom till Sverige för 3 år sedan. Mitt liv var mycket bra före revolutionen.

Då var jag student och jobbade som bedövningsassistent och på kvällen hade jag en datoraffär som jag arbetade med.

Jag var emot att fly till Europa, eftersom min bror som flydde före mig hade berättat att flyktvägen är jobbig och att Europa inte är som alla tror. Jag ville helst att mina föräldrar skulle fly  först så att inget skulle hända dem.

Jag kommer ihåg detta datum 2/2 2014. Då började den syriska regeringen att publicera bilder på mig och skriva inlägg att jag var emot regeringen. Från det datumet gick jag inte ut.

Jag visste först inte varför de publicerade dessa artiklar och bilder på mig, men fick snart veta att de gjorde såhär på grund av att jag praktiserade på ett sjukhus och hjälpte de civila som skadats av missilerna som regeringen hade skjutit.

Jag hade endast 3 månader kvar för att ta examen, men jag kunde inte ens gå ut hemifrån. Min pappa arbetade som vakt på UNRWA och bestämde sig för att vi inte kan bo kvar här och sade till mig att jag och han måste fly från landet.

Pappa sade upp sig från jobbet och gick i förtidspension. Pappa fick fortfarande lön sedan han hade gått i pension, så med dessa pengar bestämde vi oss för att fly.

Vår resa började 14:e april 2014 från staden Homs. Den dagen var min mammas födelsedag, så vi firade henne och sedan tog vi farväl och åkte iväg. Vi åkte från Homs till Hama och från Hama till Aleppo, och sedan flydde vi från Aleppo till Turkiet. Vi var hela tiden oroliga för att bli stoppade av regeringen. Den tuffaste vägen var från Hama till Aleppo. Vi klarade oss bara för att vi betalade poliserna och militären pengar för att gå igenom. Jag fick även byta namn för att klara mig.

Nästa dag kom vi fram till Turkiet. Vi åkte vidare till Ankara och sedan till Istanbul, där jag stannade i tre dagar. Smugglaren som vi träffade där frågade oss vilken väg vi ville ta. Genom havet eller genom skogen? Min pappa valde genom skogen för att det är lite säkrare och inte lika skrämmande.

Vi kom fram till Greklandsgränsen och gick till fots över till Grekland. Det tog en hel dag att komma fram till en Ö i Grekland, som jag inte kommer ihåg vad den hette. Men vägen var jobbig. Min pappa är äldre än 55 år och jag försökte hjälpa både honom och mig själv.

Vi tvingades slänga allt vi hade med oss. Jag måste till och med slänga min mobil, eftersom smugglaren var rädd att polisen skulle hitta oss. Vi var mycket rädda. Vi hörde rykten om att smugglarna dödade flyktingar, att de lurade dem och dumpade dem i havet.

Vi var tvungna att gå mycket långsamt och tyst. En person ramlade i sjön och började skrika efter hjälp. Vi ville hjälpa honom men  var rädda att den turkiska polisen skulle fånga oss, så  vi sprang därifrån.

Vi ingick i en grupp med andra flyktingar. Vi var ungefär 15 personer tillsammans med två smugglare. Min pappa trillade flera gånger på vägen. Jag hjälpte honom upp och vi gick över en sjö som var en halv meter djup.

Vi kom fram till Grekland kl. 6 på morgonen. Smugglaren berättade att han måste lämna oss och att en annan person skulle ta över. Han skulle komma med en bil om 30 minuter. Den andra smugglaren kom efter två timmar med en bil som det fick plats sex passagerare i. Vi fick veta att alla femton skulle sätta oss i bilen.

Fyra personer fick sitta i bagageluckan. Min pappa fick sitta bredvid smugglaren och vi andra satte oss i baksätet. Jag förstår fortfarande inte hur vi klarade det. När vi kom fram till Saloniki i Grekland så hade jag ont i hela kroppen.

När vi var framme, sade smugglaren att vi måste byta kläder, så att ingen lägger märke till att vi är på flykt. Vi bytte om och åkte sedan en vanlig buss tillsammans med andra passagerare till Aten.

När vi kom fram till Aten så berättade smugglaren att vi måste hämta ett flyktingdokument från polisen för att kunna röra oss fritt i Grekland. Vissa sade att vi inte behöver hämta det för vi skulle fortsätta vidare. Vi stannade nitton dagar i Grekland. En gång försökte vi fly i en lastbil, men polisen märkte det och stoppade oss innan vi hade hunnit gå in i lastbilen. Vi bytte strategi och letade istället efter en smugglare som folk kände till som skulle kunna hjälpa oss vidare.

Vi hittade en smugglare som var villig att ta oss till Sverige för 5000 euro per person. Vi ville komma till Sverige eftersom min bror och släktingar bodde där. Vi accepterade villkoren. Min pappa lånade lite pengar från vänner.

Nästa dag kom smugglaren med förfalskade papper till oss och informerade oss om att vi skulle flyga till Sverige. Men han sade till oss att vi måste köpa märkeskläder och raka oss så att ingen märker något på flygplatsen. Han tog oss till en affär som han sade var den bästa affären. Jag blev chockad när jag såg att ett par byxor kostade 150 euro och en tröja för 200 euro, smugglaren uppmanade oss att köpa kläder.

Han berättade också att han hade bokat en båt från Aten dagen därpå till en liten ö och att en annan person skulle vänta på oss där.

Vi åkte med båten och resan tog ungefär 10 timmar. När vi gick ur båten, så var den andra smugglaren inte där och väntade på oss. Vi ringde honom och han sade att det fanns för många poliser och att han inte kunde köra in.  Han sade till oss att ta bussen till stan och boka in oss på ett hotell, tills han skulle komma och lämna våra flygbiljetter. Han uppmanade oss att vara försiktiga för att inte bli tagna

Vi gick runt för att checka in på hotell , men det fungerade först inte för vi hade inga pass. Men till slut hittade vi en receptionist från Egypten som hjälpte oss, men vi fick inte berätta för någon att han hjälpte oss. Efter en halvtimme kom smugglaren till vårt rum och informerade oss hur flygplatsen ser ut och hur det skulle gå till.

Jag tittade på biljetterna och där stod det till Österrike. Vi ville ju till Sverige. Men smugglaren sade att så fort vi landat måste vi ringa till honom och då kommer han att skicka biljetter från Wien till Köpenhamn. Sedan skulle vi ta tåget till Sverige.

Jag blev chockad när jag såg flygplatsen. Den var så liten flygplats med endast 3-4 gates och inga poliser. Vi kom fram till vår gate och personalen frågade oss om vårt pass och boardingkort. Jag visade både mitt och min pappas pass och hon hälsade oss välkomna in. Då först kände jag glädjen.

Passen som vi fått av smugglaren innehöll foton på oss, men vi hade alla fått en annan nationalitet.

När vi kom fram till Wien började vi ringa till smugglaren , men han svarade inte. Vi checkade in på ett hotell i tre dagar och försökte ringa honom upprepade gånger, men utan resultat.

Vi började fundera på om vi skulle försöka boka biljetter till Köpenhamn. Jag gick till ett resekontor med passet och bokade till Köpenhamn.

Strax innan vi skulle resa så ringde en person från smugglarens telefonnummer. Han informerade oss att vår smugglare hade blivit tagen av polisen och att han var hans vän.

Han frågade om lösenordet, så att han kunde hämta ut pengarna. Han förklarade att man inte lämnar pengarna direkt till smugglaren. De lämnas först på ett kontor. Han skulle ringa kontoret och berätta att vi var framme . Då skulle de lämna pengarna till smugglaren. Han berättade att han och kontoret hade ett gemensamt lösenord.

Jag sade till honom att smugglaren hade lovat att vi skulle komma fram till Sverige eller Danmark. Nu var vi bara i Österrike, så beloppet måste minska. Personen i telefonen sade att han ville ha hela beloppet. Jag lade på luren och slutade svara honom när han försökte ringa igen. Sedan reste vi vidare till Köpenhamn. Vi kom fram till Sverige den 11:e maj 2014.

Det jag saknar mest från Homs är vägarna, folket, och nu när du ställde frågan så kan jag blunda och tänka på varje detalj i staden Homs. Jag tänker ofta att detta inte borde ha hänt. Jag minns det vackra Homs. Vi var en grupp vänner i Homs som gick ut och var tillsammans dagligen. Nu är alla utspridda i olika länder.

A Million Stories Sweden: Nizar Keblawi, Nina Olsson, Sara Sarabi, Malin Gillberg, Daniel Björklund, Mats Nordström.

A Million Stories Sweden volunteers: Fariborz Ghadir, Mohamad Mohsin, Yazan Saad, Tarek Aloudallah, Dalia Saleem, Yara Ali, Ahmad Younes, Chaimae Hamri.

In association with



Dublin Core: Language: sv Subject: refugees, asylum, Sweden, A Million Stories